Where behavioral science and humanism get out of the ivory tower, and into the world.

Thursday, March 1, 2012


"Many people with severe anxiety and/or depression are also anti-authoritarians. Often a major pain of their lives that fuels their anxiety and/or depression is fear that their contempt for illegitimate authorities will cause them to be financially and socially marginalized; but they fear that compliance with such illegitimate authorities will cause them existential death."

I just read this piece why anti-authoritarians are diagnosed as mentally ill/ and I think it's fantastic. I think it describes numerous people I've worked with as well. I'm very happy that Dr. Levine has written it so well. I think it comes across too in  even smaller ways. I've worked with many kids who their main problem seems to be that other people feel they have problems because they're a little quirky on eccentric and then end up internalizing this message of being broken to a huge degree, or fight it fiercely and get all the flack that comes along with it.

My solution? Support the people in their core selves, while teaching them the skills the need to get along at the same time.

Go show some love to your anti-authoritarian friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment